Undergrad Institution: Reputed Indian School, decent in Physics
Major(s): Physics and Chemical Engineering
GPA in Major:7.3
Length of Degree: 5 years
Position in Class: Average
Type of Student: International Male
GRE Scores :
TOEFL:111 (R: 29, L: 30, S: 25, W: 27)
Research Experience: Research with experience in diverse fields, Nuclear Physics(4 projects), Material Science (3 projects), Chemical Engineering (1 Project)
In reverse chronological order -
- 10 months full time Research assistant experience working at an accelerator facility in nuclear physics.
- 2 months part-time theoretical study of EOS of Neutron Stars.
- 5 months full-time project on simulation of membrane for solar water distillation.
- 5 months full-time project on charged particle identification using digital signal processing.
- 5 months part-time project on synthesis of nanoparticles for cancer research.
- 5 months part-time project on comparative strength testing of fibres.
- 5 months part-time theoretical project on the nature of the Hoyle State.
- 2 months full-time project on surface chemical studies on graphite solutions.
1 poster presentation in a national conference, no publications.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Volunteered for multiple programs in science popularisation, have taught in a school for underprivileged children.
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Participated in schools/workshops in Nuclear physics and Astrophysics (1 international school, 2 domestic)
Special Bonus Points: 3 good recommendations, 2 decent. One recommender is a prominent nuclear physicist at a leading research institute with a number of international collaborations. Another made it a point to mention that the lack of publication from my work was due to the industrial nature of the project.
Contacted the professors before applying to the Universities, a few seemed interested in my profile.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
Applying to Where: All for Nuc-Ex.
University of British Columbia - (Feb. 20: Rejected via email)
University of Notre Dame - (Feb. 20: Rejected via email)
Florida State University (FSU) - (Feb. 11: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website + $1k Dean's Fellowship + $20.9k TA)
Texas A&M University (TAMU) - (Feb. 26: ACCEPTED via mail from department. $2k fellowship + $2k per month TA)
Michigan State University (MSU) -
Indiana University Bloomington -
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill (UNC-CH) -
Ohio University - (Feb. 26: Waitlisted via mail from the department.)
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests